[WikiEN-l] I've added a note to the 3RR policy page

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 11:37:48 UTC 2005

I've just added the following to [[WP:3RR]]. I think it concisely
reflects how these things actually work. Feel free, of course, to
edit ;-)

I'm a big fan of 3RR blocks, because sterile reverting is bad. But
if someone emails me acknowledging their error and asking to be
unblocked, I'll generally do so. The idea is to get people to edit
better. Some admins are real hardarses about it, but I'm not sure
that's really productive myself.

==I've been blocked under 3RR! What do I do?==
First, check if you actually did make a fourth revert in 24 hours or very
close to it.

*If you didn't, you should email the admin who blocked you (or another
admin), politely point this out and ask to be unblocked.
*If you did, you should either wait the 24 hours to calm down, or email the
admin who blocked you (or another admin), acknowledge your error and
apologise and ask to be unblocked.

Some admins look at the quality of the edits in question, but most admins do
not as the rule does not concern itself with edit quality.

Note that historically, public denunciation of the blocking admin has not
tended to gain sympathy.

- d.