I have unblocked Blair P. Houghton. Re: [WikiEN-l] Unreasonable block of user Blair P. Houghton by adminCryptoDerk

Andrew Lih andrew.lih at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 05:45:24 UTC 2005

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 01:09:30 -0400, Jim Cecropia <jcecropia at mail.com> wrote:
> I have unblocked Blair P. Houghton so that he can defend himself
> in the appropriate forums on Wikipedia.
>
> The 3RR, as I've stated elsewhere, is a loose cannon which tends to
> favor the status-quo. If the there is a content dispute, the better solution
> is to protect the article for a limited time to get the combatants to hash
> out the issue in article talk. In the instant case, I notice that
> GeorgeStepanek, for example, numbered his reverts ("first, second, third")
> which telegraphs consciousness of the 3RR as a trap, then another editor
> who disagrees with Houghton picked up on the reverting.

It's dangerous to ascribe intent. Simply numbering one's edits does
not mean it's a "trap." In fact, *not* numbering them, and losing
count, could be construed as a trap as well.

But I agree that an outside admin would have served the community
better by simply locking the page, and not banning anyone. Somehow
this needs to be emphasized on the 3RR page - not all 3R violations
need to be followed up by a ban.

-Andrew (User:Fuzheado)