[WikiEN-l] Unblock this IP: 217.33.74.20

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 14 17:32:43 UTC 2005

--- Angela <beesley at gmail.com> wrote:
> There is currently no requirement for admins on the English Wikipedia
> to enable their email. I proposed adding this to the policy almost a
> year ago, but there was no support for it.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Blocking_policy#Email_proposal

This is such a blindingly obvious thing that I’m shocked there was not more
support for it. I will continue to nag admins that don’t do this since so many
emails from people who get blocked go to me (since I’m one of the few admins on
the admin list that gives an obvious link to my ‘email this user’ form). I’m
sure most people don’t even get as far as the admin list.

In fact there should be an auto link to ‘email the admin who blocked you’ for
block messages. Of course the blocking admin need not respond via email and
thus give up their email address to vandals who may spam bomb them and there
should be a per IP throttle limit to the number of emails that can be sent
using this option (server side virus checks would also be useful).

But blocking an IP and not giving any potentially innocent people who also use
that IP an easy way to inform somebody about it, is not fair and very unwiki.

-- mav