[WikiEN-l] Culture glut? On the contrary

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 16:13:36 UTC 2005

I think I should clarify one thing about what I was trying to say:

I'm not against the ==In popular culture== sections if they are
coherent sentences, narratives, etc. about the impacts and
representatiosn in popular culture. Popular culture is important
(though of course I worry that "popular culture" simply means "US and
UK popular culture" but anyway that's for the CSB people to worry
about).

I'm against *lists* where people just hemorrage "trivia" in a
non-interesting, non-useful function.

Sure, a reader thought the fact that a song called "Manhattan Project"
by the prog-rock band "Rush" was relevant and interesting. But I think
most people would find that to be "trivia", and not very interesting
trivia at that.

Of course it is an individual judgment call. But if someone really
thought it was important, they could add it back in with an expanded
line about WHY this is notable (i.e. "... and this song became the
anthem of a generation, featured prominently as the official UN song
about nuclear weapons" etc.), and suddenly, it's not trivia any more!
I feel that everything in an article should be there for a reason, and
if that reason isn't apparent, it should be spelled out. Within
reason, of course.

FF