[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia referenced by SANS

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Fri Mar 11 05:40:51 UTC 2005

I received an email tonight from the SANS Institute, one of the most
widely known authorities on matters pertaining to network security and
provider of some of the best information on the subject of computer
security threats available online.  The email is an invitation to a
conference they'll be hosting.  Since it's in Colorado and costs great
scads of money between the attendance fee and the expenses, I won't be
going.

I thought an excerpt from the email might interest this list, though.

"According to Wikipedia, "spyware consists of computer software that
gathers and reports information about a computer user without the user's
knowledge or consent." This can encompass a wide range of different
types of malware that perform a variety of actions on computer systems.
Some spyware delivers advertising, while other spyware gathers user
information without his/her knowledge. Spyware can also install modem
dialing software and redirect users to malicious Web sites."

That's the lead-in to the purpose of the conference.  It seems like good
news to see yet another recognized authority using Wikipedia to provide
definitions of the terms for the foci of its trade.

Good night.

--
Chad
[ CCD CopyWrite | http://ccd.apotheon.org ]