[WikiEN-l] Queen Elizabeth II

actionforum at comcast.net actionforum at comcast.net
Thu Mar 10 23:08:14 UTC 2005

Steve,

I said "some" of the founding fathers, not any one picked at random.  You landed on a federalist.  Here is a quote from [[Democracy]]:

   According to classical usage, the word "democracy" refers solely to direct    democracy, whilst a representative democracy where representatives of the people govern in accordance with a constitution is referred to as a "republic". This older terminology also has some popularity in U.S. Conservative and Libertarian debate.

The definitions here that have more emphasis on a constitution, may not be the most popular definition of democracy in the US, but it does have intellectual validity and can be used, and will be recognized.  Pledges and oaths of officeholder will be to the republic or to uphold the "constitution", not the to will of the people or the latest legislation or to the president.  I think the above passage over emphasizes the "direct", because that term usually isn't used.   The emphasis is that the will of the people is limited by the constitution with its checks and balances, supermajority provisions, and bill of rights.   Jefferson is the founding father that most conservatives and libertarians look to.

I probably agree with you that one has to do research to do a lot  of writing, as long as past "research" counts.  But short of extensive writing, contributing to refining pages where some of the people understand the subject and their positions well enough to reduce them to a few definitions and principles, is quite possible on new subjects, and not just merely improving the writing either.

                          -- Silverback