[WikiEN-l] Re: Abusive editors

actionforum at comcast.net actionforum at comcast.net
Thu Mar 10 11:03:46 UTC 2005

> actionforum at comcast.net wrote:
> >
> >>I think it's important to note that baiting users into making personal
> >>attacks is even worse than the personal attacks that ensue, however.
> >>
> >>-Snowspinner
> >

> > Abusers often blame the victim. Sadly, sometimes the victims believe them.
> >
> > -- Silverback
>
> Sorry, I'm a little dense today. Please spell out the point you are
> trying to make.

The idea of name callers blaming the victim for "baiting" them is analogous to spousal abusers who claim the spouse "egged them on", "was asking for it" or committed some other stupid oversight or offense.  The spousal abuse victim, often will defend the abuser claiming it was their fault, they weren't perfect in some way.

Of course, namecallers think their victims deserved it, egged them on, baited them, or was being unreasonable, or refused to acknowledge that the namecaller was right.

Somehow, just as a lot of people manage to avoid abusing their spouses, a lot of people refrain from namecalling.    The difference is more in the abuser or namecaller than in the victim or provocature.
                  -- Silverback
                  -- Silverback