[WikiEN-l] Re: POV featured articles?

csherlock at ljh.com.au csherlock at ljh.com.au
Thu Mar 10 04:35:20 UTC 2005

actionforum at comcast.net wrote:
> I noticed that an article I considered POV just became a featured article:
>
>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_history_of_the_Soviet_Union
>
> I've marked it NPOV, and have made several improvements, including a couple I made before it achieved featured article status.
>
> How do articles become featured articles?  I've read Wikipedia:Featured articles,
> and it talks about standards but not how the actual decision about the status is
> made.  I looked at the nomination page, and there were only 5 supporting votes,
> and zero opposing votes, before mine which I have just added after the fact.
>
> I am not criticising those reviewers, they may not be sensitive to some of the
> selection biases that can occur within articles or may have been unfamiliar
> with the subject.
>
> I am however surprised that an article can become featured without far wider
> review that hopefully would catch incompleteness or biases such as this.  I had
> seen contributions to featured articles cited as feathers in ones cap, so I thought
> the review must have been high.  Is there a minimum number of supporting
> votes that are required?
>                 -- Silverback

May I suggest you put it on [[WP:FARC]] and then put it on [[WP:PR]].

However, the method that is used is that the article is submitted to
[[WP:FAC]], who object or support the nomination. They cannot object
with an non-actionable objection like the "topic is too obscure",
because noone can actually do anything about such an objectionable. You
might also want to see [[Wikipedia:What is a featured article]].

TBSDY