[WikiEN-l] Abusive editors

Skyring skyring at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 21:05:26 UTC 2005

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 17:22:08 -0000 (GMT), Tony Sidaway
<minorityreport at bluebottle.com> wrote:
> Tom Haws said:
> > Tony Sidaway wrote:
> >
> >>Some people have lower boiling points than
> >>others and can easily be provoked.
> >>
> > This is not to my knowledge a terminal condition or a good excuse.  We
> > can all learn to boil slowly and gently.  The message of the policy is
> > clear.  "Take responsibility for your own temper."
> >

> Absolutely. I completely agree with this.
>
> However I was pointing out that an undesired side-effect of enforcing "no
> personal attacks" with blocking could be, paradoxically, to give some
> people an incentive to provoke _more_ personal attacks.

You are completely correct, but may I state (again) that this was not
my intention. Adam is a good and well-respected editor, and I did not
think that he would be blocked. I merely want to be able to explore
opposing views without being subjected to personal attacks which are
upsetting and distracting. I guess I want him to be aware of the
community view on such things, as my own requests for him to moderate
his behaviour seem only to enrage him further.

I find that Adam was unblocked a few minutes later, and I support
this, though I also note that blocks on Adam don't seem to last long
in any case.

--
Peter in Canberra