[WikiEN-l] Abusive editors

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Wed Mar 9 15:30:36 UTC 2005

Ed Poor wrote

>I had thought that any of the 415 admins, having the "ability" to block
signed-in users, were "authorized" to use that ability to enforce the
rules - such as:
[[Wikipedia:No personal attacks]]

There is a policy about removing personal attacks.  That there is policy
about 'removing' those doing the attacking is news to me.  I wouldn't dream
of using admin powers in this way.

Ed Poor shoots from hip, once more.  Exactly what kind of place would
Wiki-en be if say, 100 of our sysops took this line, on a daily basis?

I don't want to find out.  Others please support me, in saying that Ed is
out of line here.  Policy can't just be made on the hoof, any more.  The
scare quotes round "authorized" tell me just about all I need to know.
Civility is a big plus on WP, but enforcement of this kind goes way beyond
what I would accept.  Out of hand bans for vandalism, yes.

Charles