[WikiEN-l] Re: Page move vandal - there is a feature that can help with it ...

Tony Sidaway minorityreport at bluebottle.com
Tue Mar 8 17:34:12 UTC 2005

> How many users have EVER used move?  Why not disable it, and make it a
> sysop only function.  I don't think its meaning is intuitive, the only
> time I ever tried to use it was to reverse a vandal that had moved the
> page, and I think I botched it.

I'd not want it disabled, if only because a botched move can be undone
relatively easily but a cut-and-paste that subsequently gets edited is a
nightmare.  Not the least of the problems is that usually you don't even
know just by looking at the page and its history that an article *is* a
copy-and-paste job from another page.  There is no link at all.
If we made page-move a sysop-only function we'd probably need to do
something about non-sysops improvising copy-and-pastes.  I think it
*should* be available to nearly all regular logged-in editors.