[WikiEN-l] ArbCom - too attached to 'equal treatment'?

Rick giantsrick13 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 8 08:21:17 UTC 2005

--- Brian M <brian1954 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am sure Jimbo did not just shoot from the hip, and
> anybody trying to
> sort out what is happening would still need "to go
> through the edits".
>   But what isn't needed is the whole
> quasi-legalistic  infrastructure
> that the arbcom has evolved
> with "cases", "petitioners", "respondents",
> "recusals", "votes to
> accept or deny cases",  "injunctions", "evidence",
> etc, etc,      It
> is silly.
>
> I have no idea of the AC history, but somewhere back
> when the arbcom
> was getting rolling it took a wrong turn and now we
> have this
> tremendously heavy process.  The basic need is
> simply to be able to
> get  an experienced and level-headed Wikipedian who
> is respected and
> trusted by the community involved in various
> situations who can (1)
> warn people that they are out of line and try to
> nudge them towards
> correcting their behaviour; and/or (2) impose a
> sanction if the
> misbehaviour continues, with the easily-obtained
> backing of a
> committee that represents the community consensus,

I COMPLETELY endorse everything Brian is saying here.
The entire process is so cumbersome as to be daunting
and not worth the effort, especially since the arbcom
will bend over backwards to do everything they can to
make sure that the most egregious of vandals and edit
warriors are treated with more respect than the valid
editors who have to deal with them.

RickK