[WikiEN-l] Rules, expertise, and encyclopedic standards

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 7 21:29:34 UTC 2005

--- "steven l. rubenstein" <rubenste at ohiou.edu> wrote:
> As long as it is seen as a dispute resolving mechanism, rather than as
> police, I think it would work for both (indeed, one of the problems with
> the ArbCom right now is that it is both dispute-resolving, and
> police.  Maybe we need both functions, but they call for different
> mechanisms -- a dispute-resolution process does require, as Fred has
> insisted, that the committee look at the behavior of "both" parties.  But
> this is possible only because there are two or more parties.  I think the
> policing function requires a committee that can talk to users who violate
> policies even when no one has filed a formal complaint).

Police are enforcers. The ArbCom does not enforce its rulings - non-ArbCom
admins and developers who are interested in that type of thing do. Thus there
is already a separation.

I'm all for giving admins broader police powers, but this needs to be
implemented in a slow and well thought-out way. I'm not for adding yet another
committee since that will not scale nearly as well as using existing admins.

-- mav