[WikiEN-l] Rules, expertise, and encyclopedic standards

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Mon Mar 7 18:37:22 UTC 2005

Jay JG wrote

>  "Deductive reasoning" becomes original
> research when it is used to build a case against a position presented in
an
> article, not when used to do unit conversions.

I have to say that I'm not comfortable with 'content policy' being made into
something slightly different in this way.  Policy on content fundamentally
is there to help sort out what content is encyclopedic in nature.  It is not
really there - though clearly will be used by some - to tell you when you
may or may not argue a certain way (as if the process was inherently
adversarial).  One obviously shouldn't end up with a path-dependent
criterion, for example.

Charles