[WikiEN-l] Deletion of my images

Zoney zoney.ie at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 10:52:19 UTC 2005

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 06:03:44 +0100, Anthere <anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> For the second time this month, one of my images was deleted on the
> english wikipedia.
>
> I was not warned at all.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User:Anthere/PictInsectes&diff=0&oldid=10140585
>
> I'll be frank, I AM PISSED OFF.
>
> It is written clearly on my talk page, and my user page that all my
> images are gfdl. All my insects pictures listed on my user subpage are
> labelled, but this one.
>
> Just as I already said on the pump less than 2 weeks ago, I think it is
> really pure disrespect to delete an image without asking the author, and
> then only AFTER deletion, to go on this user subpage to remove the link
> to the deleted image. If there is time to go on my user subpage to
> remove a link, then there is time to drop by my user talk page and talk
> to me. Of there is time to read the mention on my user and user talk
> page and to read my warning about the status of my images and to update
> the image status.
>
> I am sorry, but I really find this of the latest rudeness.
>
>  From now quite far away, as I have no more time to edit the english
> wikipedia, I have the horrible feeling the english wikipedia has become
> a very very cold place, where there is no respect for editors except
> those well known possibly. If feels like if one is not among the major
> editors, he does not count, and his feelings are not important at all.
> It looks like a machine. An automate. Not a great human construction.
>
> We are all here because we believe in what we do, but what we do is only
> good because we do it together and because we trust each other.
>
> Well, at least, some people trust other people. And if it is not
> possible to trust someone who spent already 3 years on wikipedia, I
> wonder how newbies are treated.
>
> In case you feel like telling me "yeah, but this is just one case you
> know, not everybody does that", I will then ask why Quadell is trusted
> to delete images. I do not trust him to do so. Not because he does not
> do this according to rules, but because he does not do this while taking
> human feelings into account. And wiki only works thanks to human power.
>
> Anthere

I agree, it seems there are *some* ill-mannered people around en:
these days who consider their work, Wikipedia, or administrative rules
more important than individual editors. There are plenty, probably a
majority, of well-balanced nice friendly editors, who unfortunately
possibly are more frequently becoming unhinged on occasion. The bad
tends to make more of an impact than the good.

Worse is the fact that there are some editors who don't seem to
realise they should observe "social nicities" or in fact scoff at the
idea. We aren't robots - exhibiting human behaviour shouldn't be seen
as inconvenient at best.

And the folks that do give a damn (again, the majority of people I
hope) are between a rock and a hard place, as they in fact care about
the ill-mannered editors also. Which results in the complaint that
people pander to problem editors rather than let them go. But then if
people harden themselves and just force people off, that's no solution
either. People saying "Oh look, no-one cares that person X has left."
or "Who cares? Person X only caused problems." is not an ideal
situation to be in.

Damn it! What is the answer to keeping everyone happy (which yes, is
important for  Wikipedia's community, hence its content) yet managing
to deal with bad behaviour (occasional/once off or recurrant) without
antagonising everyone? I for sure don't think we've cracked it yet!

Zoney

--
~()____) This message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...