[WikiEN-l] Page move vandal - there is a feature that can help with it ...

Neil Harris usenet at tonal.clara.co.uk
Sun Mar 6 15:27:31 UTC 2005

David Gerard wrote:

> Just had the following conversation with Tim Starling on
> #mediawiki. Log quoted with permission.
>
> Basically: there is a feature. Present version is unsubtle
> in its restriction (last 10% of created accounts, which is
> possibly a bit harsh to get consensus. A timed version
> would be nice, but someone interested in it will have to
> write the code.
>
> Of course, if that restriction isn't considered too onerous
> for the moment, it can just be switched on, and it will stop
> Willy On Wheels! in his tracks.

[snip IRC log]

Block only the last 1% (we currently have over 200,000 users on en:, so
that would be approximately the last 2,000), and turn on the
user-account-creation throttling? At the current growth rate, that would
mean that a user would pass this threshold in about a month from
creating their account, and we'd still have all the sysops, and over
2000 "very active Wikipedians" as well as about 196,000 less active ones
able to move pages on en: for users who cannot yet move pages for
themselves.

-- Neil