[WikiEN-l] ArbCom - too attached to 'equal treatment'?

Fred Bauder fredbaud at ctelco.net
Sun Mar 6 14:50:01 UTC 2005

Arbitration is not a tool to be used in struggle with other editors. If you
are struggling with other editors rather than complaining in good faith
about violations of Wikipedia policy you are probably violating Wikipedia
policies yourself.

As to comparisons with the common law, arbitration has always been a way to
escape from the rigid and awkward rules of Anglo-Saxon common law with its
emphasis on procedure and rules of evidence which prevent adequate
investigation of what is actually going on. Our procedures take as much from
traditonal equity and from continental civil law as from common law. We need
to be free to investigate, not be bound by whatever the litigants choose or
are able to bring to us.

Fred