[WikiEN-l] ArbCom - too attached to 'equal treatment'?

Fred Bauder fredbaud at ctelco.net
Sun Mar 6 11:38:16 UTC 2005

There is no way the Arbitration Committee can avoid making policy. What we
do is separate the expressed policies of Wikipedia into those which are
regularly enforced and those which either cannot or will not be enforced.
The ways we come up with to enforce or encourage following of policy are in
themselves additions to policy. For example, personal attack parole,
something that was not in the game before the committee began trying to
craft some solution to the personal attack problem. Or revert parole where
POV editors may be restricted to one revert a day to an article.

To follow up though, all these things are fair game for community
discussion, especially on the talk pages of the proposed decisions.

Fred