[WikiEN-l] Strange fetishes

actionforum at comcast.net actionforum at comcast.net
Sun Mar 6 10:10:03 UTC 2005

> On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 21:57:04 -0000 (GMT), Tony Sidaway
> wrote:
> > It's the "We need *this* edit war for the good of Wikipedia" syndrome.
> > It's related to [[Wikipedia:The Wrong Version]].
>
> Indeed. There is so much to be achieved through dialectic and
> consensus, and nothing at all to be achieved through violence. And
> though it may debase the meaning of violence to apply it digitally, a
> revert was _is_ analogous a physical controntation when words have
> failed. Let us import knowledge from the real world, not stupidity.
> :-)

That is both debasing to the meaning of violence, and taking the revert all too personally.  Really, it may be no more than a statement, that the edit wasn't obvious, and needs to be justified if you are serious about it.  You also forget that the edit being reverted may be a change or deletion, and so the "edit" may have been every bit as "violent" as a revert.
                           -- Silverback