[WikiEN-l] Strange fetishes

Michael Becker wikimb at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 03:16:40 UTC 2005

Wikipedia is a wiki community foremost and an encyclopedia second. The
3RR is an easy rule to follow so there is no reason not to. If
"professional historians like Jtdril and adam Carr" would just learn to
follow the rules, they would not get blocked. There is no reason that
anyone ever has to break the 3RR, if it is a valid reversion, the
community will come to the rescue. There certainly is nothing stopping
them from seeking help from others to avoid breaking the 3RR. The fact
of the matter is this group of "professionals" feels for some reason
that it should get special treatment when it comes to breaking the
rules. They must eventually realize that in an internet community like
Wikipedia it doesn't matter who they are if they can't follow the
community standards for interaction.

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 06:16:11 +0000, Abe Sokolov <abesokolov at hotmail.com>
wrote:
 > Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca wrote:
 >
 > Actually, IMO at least it seems perfectly reasonable to enforce the 3RR
 > even against people who are making reverts that when made in isolation
 > would be considered "reasonable."
 >
 > That's actually my point. For Wikipedia to be managable, procedure
must be
 > followed and policies must be enforced. Thus, the statements that I'd
quoted
 > were **unfortunately** reasonable. The problem is the nature of the
 > procedure making this approach reasonable.
 >
 > IMO needs radical change, along the lines of Larry Sanger's
suggestions. The
 > way things are now, certain trolls flourish while professional
historians
 > like Jtdril (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Jtdirl#3RR_block)
and
 > Adam Carr get blocked. Some bold structural changes would serve to
correct
 > this problem.
 >
 > -172

Michael Becker