[WikiEN-l] Re: Proposal on VFD: enforcement of nomination policy

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 23:52:46 UTC 2005

Matt Brown wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 23:05:39 +0000, Pete/Pcb21
> <pete_pcb21_wpmail at pcbartlett.com> wrote:

>>I love this approach.
>>Hell, if policy and precedence says that a certain type of article
>>should be deleted (or, conversely, kept) then why do we need to go over
>>the unnecessary palaver of vfd over and over?

> a) Because the community preference seems to wish for deliberation,
> rather than unilateral action, over such a weighty decision as
> deletion, except in very specific situations.
> b) Because there is disagreement about many types of articles'
> suitability for Wikipedia.

So is the so-called deletion policy purely decorative, and in fact
something that should itself be deleted to avoid confusion?

'Cos what I'm saying is to just enforce the policy that's already
there, and is referred to both at beginning and end of VFD as being
a thing to follow, in the hope of making VFD somewhat smaller so
that it may be more humanly manageable.

I really don't see what's so hard about actually putting a reason bearing
a relationship to policy, particularly when VFD explicitly says to do so.

- d.