[WikiEN-l] Re: 3RR--what's the problem?

dpbsmith at verizon.net dpbsmith at verizon.net
Fri Mar 4 21:28:30 UTC 2005

>From: daniwo59 at aol.com
>Subject: [WikiEN-l] 3RR and gaming the system

The problem begins when focus solely on 3RR, disregarding our real goals.

>People are gaming these rules. While I would like to believe that most
>people have the good of Wikipedia at heart, the fact is that it is downright

>impossible, given the size of Wikipedia, to follow all the arguments, follow
all
>the reverts, and step in when necessary.

I don't get it. I truly don't get it. I'm not an old-timer, but I've been on
Wikipedia for mumble months and have made mumble thousand edits, and not once
have I ever come close to encountering the 3RR.

It seems to me that the 3RR is sort of like driving 74 mph on a rutted dirt
road, where the posted speed limit is 65, and most people drive 15. And then
complaining when you get ticketed, because you think the cop should have
allowed an extra 10 mph. (For people who don't live in U. S., Myanmar, or
Liberia: read 120, 105, 25, and 16 kph respectively).

I mean, why should the 3RR inconvenience _anyone_ with _any_ sense?

And if for some currently-incomprehensible-to-me reason someone does get
caught by it, what's so darn terrible about taking 24 hours off from
Wikipedia?

(Please do not take this as a challenge to see whether it's possible to goad
me into make three reverts...)