[WikiEN-l] 3RR and gaming the system

JAY JG jayjg at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 4 20:56:39 UTC 2005

>From: daniwo59 at aol.com
>

>Frankly, I never supported the 3RR, either the first time it was
>implemented, or this, the second time. I certainly oppose the idea that it
>takes
>precedence, or is even on an equal footing, with the goal of creating an
>_accurate_,
>NPOV, open-source encyclopedia. Comments equating it with that are
>misguided. 3RR was put in place, not as an objective in itself, but as a
>means  to an
>end, that end being the creation of an accurate corpus of human  knowledge.
>And
>yet, while people are willing to block for violating the 3RR, how  many
>people are willing to block for pushing POV or adding inaccurate
>information
>consistently? That is a problem.
>
>So I reiterate: 3RR is not a goal of Wikipedia. In an ideal world, it would
>not even be necessary. It is merely a means to an end.

True.  However, I've seen instances where editors have reverted pages 14
times in half a day, against the will of a half dozen editors, with no
sanction then or now.  Enforcement of the 3RR has put an end to that kind of
nonsense.  POV pushing has always been a problem, but I've seen no
indication that 3RR enforcement has made the POV pushing problem any worse
than it was before, and it has demonstrably helped ameliorate egregious
edit-warring problems.

Jay.