[WikiEN-l] 3RR and gaming the system

Jim Cecropia jcecropia at mail.com
Fri Mar 4 19:16:11 UTC 2005

Strongly agree with Danny.

I took a look at the <S>Star Chamber</S> ArbCom page and saw the latest effort against 172. Guess you never get tenure around here.

Meanwhile, groups of users take command of certain pages and trash Wikipedia's possibility of being a reliable encyclopedia for all but the least controversial topics. I can understand 172's frustration, even as I am at opposite ends of a lot of his politics. Take an article like the Attacks of 9/11. I put in content based on any up-close and personal familiarity with the Laws of Land Warfare--i.e., these were war crimes. With citations. Engaging and answering critics' questions on why this is true. Leave it alone for a few months and it's all gone. But everyone's favorite conspiracy theory is in there. Any blame the Twin Towers on Karl Rove yet?

My major point is that we're building a great bureaucracy to attack the out-of-favor Wikipedian, and to edify the Amateur Torquemadas; but I haven't seen us get one inch closer to building some kind of enforceable editorial judgment. Quite the contrary.

Cecropia