[WikiEN-l] Proposal on VFD: enforcement of nomination policy

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 18:12:42 UTC 2005

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Votes_for_deletion#How_to_make_VFD_of_manageable_size

One way to make VFD of manageable size is to enforce step 3 of the procedure
for nomination, which is: "3. Under the section, describe, in accordance
with our deletion policy, why the page should be deleted and clearly write
what action you think should be taken for the nominated article to assist
others in determining consensus. Don't forget to sign and datestamp (using
~~~~)."

An awful lot of nominations are bogus - listing reasons that are
nowhere to be found in [[Wikipedia:Deletion policy]].

Therefore, I propose:

     Any VFD nomination not listing a reason in Wikipedia:Deletion policy may
     be summarily removed from the page.

This alone would only be enforcing existing policy and would reduce the size
of VFD considerably.

(It could also be applied to votes, but that would be making new policy, not
reinforcing existing policy.)

I urge you to go to the above page and add your thoughts. Should this be
enforced, or is the deletion policy merely decorative?

- d.