[WikiEN-l] 3RR and gaming the system

daniwo59 at aol.com daniwo59 at aol.com
Fri Mar 4 11:56:31 UTC 2005

There is a serious problem. As the number of Wikipedia rules spiral, we are
seeing people figure out how to play the rules for their own personal
edification. Meanwhile, three old-time users--172, AdamCarr, and Mirv, who have
thousands of valuable edits to their name (regardless of what anyone might think
of any of them personally)--have either been blocked or left the project in
the  past 24 hours.

Frankly, I never supported the 3RR, either the first time it was
implemented, or this, the second time. I certainly oppose the idea that it takes
precedence, or is even on an equal footing, with the goal of creating an  _accurate_,
NPOV, open-source encyclopedia. Comments equating it with that are
misguided. 3RR was put in place, not as an objective in itself, but as a means  to an
end, that end being the creation of an accurate corpus of human  knowledge. And
yet, while people are willing to block for violating the 3RR, how  many
people are willing to block for pushing POV or adding inaccurate  information
consistently? That is a problem.

So I reiterate: 3RR is not a goal of Wikipedia. In an ideal world, it would
not even be necessary. It is merely a means to an end.

The problem begins when focus solely on 3RR, disregarding our real goals.

People are gaming these rules. While I would like to believe that most
people have the good of Wikipedia at heart, the fact is that it is downright
impossible, given the size of Wikipedia, to follow all the arguments, follow all
the reverts, and step in when necessary. It once was, but that is no longer the
 case. Nor is it legitimate to expect people who do not have IRC to get it
and go  there when they face a problem. This is not an IRC project.

I do not know the solution to this problem, but I think that it should be
stated. Personally, I hope that Jimbo appoints a group of trusted users to
examine the problem and come up with some solutions.

Danny