[WikiEN-l] Arbitrator recusals (was 172 de-sysopped)

Tony Sidaway minorityreport at bluebottle.com
Thu Mar 3 13:57:22 UTC 2005

David Gerard said:
> Michael Snow wrote:
>> So at most Jimbo would need to come up with four or five people who
>> have  good sense at how to handle these things. I don't think this
>> would be  terribly difficult for him. We have several experienced
>> former
>> arbitrators whom I at least would happily trust to deal with a case in
>>  an emergency. And I could name a number of other people who might be
>> qualified, depending on the particular case that presents itself. This
>>  would also be a helpful way to get in some practical observation of
>> people who may be candidates for election to the Arbitration Committee
>>  in the future.
>

> Oooh, that's a good idea. I like that one.

There are the former arbitrators, and those whom the arbitrators would
co-opt because of their particular skills, as Michael suggests.  Possibly
those who have already declared their interest by standing in the Arbcom
election may also be a useful pool.
This is just a wild idea, but how about other Wikipedias?  I don't know
how well developed the de.wikipedia or fr.wikipedia dispute resolution is,
but it may be that potential arbitrators coud be co-opted from those Wikis
if they are willing and their skill with English is up to it.  At least
they'd be less likely to have reason to recuse.  It would also be a chance
to spread expertise from en.wikipedia to other Wikis.