[WikiEN-l] Boomerang Rule

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Wed Mar 2 19:11:27 UTC 2005

Ray wrote:

> What might be an interesting approach when accusations are made would
be
> to have the promoter of a failed accusation serve the same fate that
he
> sought to have applied on the accused.  Thus if he seeks to have
someone
> de-sysopped and fails he would be de-sysopped; if seeks to have the
> person banned for a month and fails he would be banned for a month.
etc.

> It might put an end to all the whining. ;-)

Now I don't know if Eclecticology was kind of joking around here, but if
so it sounds like what we hackers call "ha, ha, only serious".

I would be happy to adopt such a system and I volunteer myself as a test
case. I thought a Blocking War should be stopped with temp desysopping,
but the community said, "No." All right, de-sysop me for the same period
of time (1.5 hours). Shucks, go whole hog and de-sysop 1.5 hours for
EACH of the 4 users I de-opped. Let's see how the math works out for
that:

    4 x 1.5 = 6

Okay, de-sysop me for 6 hours. I can handle that.

Now for a more serious example. I'm on the verge of giving William
Connolley or X a one-hour time-out for violating the "No personal
remarks" rule. If the arbcom reviews my block and decides I was wrong, I
got blocked and/or de-sysopeed for the same period of time. Fine with
me!! I'll take the chance.

I think a lot of people would applaud a Sheriff who "puts his money
where his mouth is".

Uncle Ed   <=== Just rented "Hang 'Em High" last week