[WikiEN-l] ArbCom - too attached to "equal treatment"?

JAY JG jayjg at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 2 17:22:10 UTC 2005

Recently a Wikipedia editor e-mailed me regarding concerns she had about the
ArbCom process.  In particular, she was looking at an ArbCom case brought up
against an editor who (aside from a couple of articles) has added little in
the way of actual content, copyedits, or housekeeping to the project, but
who has long been noted for personal attacks, trolling, edit-warring, and
who has been temp-banned more than once.  As seems to be typical in these
cases, the person being brought before ArbCom created a "counter
arbitration" defense against one complainant in particular  (a long time
contributer of much valued content, though perhaps given to getting a little
personal in disputes).  As a matter of policy, the behaviour of those who
were bringing the complaint was examined with equal intensity.  As the
person e-mailing me put it

"It looks like the arbcom is going to put them both on POV parole, which is
silly; they have this thing about equal treatment. It's like if I report
someone to the police for a theft, the police first of all have to
investigate whether I've committed theft too, because if they charge one,
they have to charge both."

Is this a valid concern?

Jay.