[WikiEN-l] Re: Pseudoscience category - GSPOV

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Jun 29 19:12:52 UTC 2005

Haukur Þorgeirsson wrote:

>>One can graduate from a
>>mainstream, accredited medical school, receive a medical degree, &
>>even be board-certified -- & yet still be a quack.
>>

>I fully agree.
>
>Some doctors with education in scientific
>medicine are quacks. The discipline itself,
>however, isn't quackery. Homeopathy, on the
>other hand, is pseudo-medicine. Everyone who
>practices homeopathy is a quack while she's
>doing it, in the sense that she is providing
>medicine that doesn't work.

I have not had occasion to use them, but If I look at the prices of
homeopathic medicines I find them rather modest.  Compare that with the
prices of heavily patented medicines sold by major pharmaceutical
companies.  The improved efficacy of some of these is often only
incremental over that of the drug whose patent has expired.  Some of
these producers are quite happy to withhold medicines from those who
can't pay.  It isn't the homeopaths who are failing to send AIDS drugs
to Africa,  or are using their patent powers to restrict domestic
African production of these drugs.

If indeed homeopathic medicine doesn't work as you allege, there is at
least no recent claims of it doing direct harm.  (Direct harm involves
far more than any allegation of negligence for failing to send the
victims to a "real" doctor.)  The recent problems over Vioxx/Celebrex
did not come from the homeopathic community

>I keep coming back to homeopathy because it
>is probably the pseudo-medicine discipline
>with the greatest mainstream popularity. It
>even has some degree of official recognition
>in some countries. And yet it has been shown
>beyond any reasonable doubt not to work.

I suspect that chiropractic is more popular, but that could vary from
one place to the next.  Your use of "beyond reasonable doubt" is too
categorical.  The popularity of homeopathy alone is not be enough to
establish that the medicines work, but it is a clear expression of
reasonable doubt.

Healing involves more than medicines that produce the desired chemical
results.  It can involve more than the syllogistic thinking that has
become so commonplace in the Western World ever since Aristotle.

Attitude and hope are also factors in healing.  I do not believe in God,
but can still recognize the value of prayer to healing.  Shamans had a
vital role in their own societies, even if their medicine bags contained
nothing but innocuous trinkets.

When you show a man the wonders of modern medicine you are showing him
that hope exists.  When you demonstrate that those wonders are beyond
his means, you have turned modern medicine into the offerings of a
latter-day Pandora.  Maybe he was better off with his vials of sterile
water.

>>But if it really doesn't hurt anything if we call it "Alternative
>>medicine", & creates a bit of WikiLove to do so, then shouldn't we
>>accept the term & move on to other things?
>>

>I am arguing that the term is misleading
>for the articles that category currently
>holds (I won't repeat my argument here,
>see my earlier posts). I suggest we replace
>it with "Pseudo-medicine" and will do so
>myself if objections are not raised.

Such a move would be objectionable POV pushing.

Ec