[WikiEN-l] 3RR penalty is a block and not a ban -> problems

Kelly Martin kelly.lynn.martin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 00:37:02 UTC 2005

On 6/27/05, Nyenyec N <nyenyec at gmail.com> wrote:
> Currently we experienced the first onslaught of quite persistent
> trolls and disruptive users ever.
> Unfortunately several of the key policies have never been translated
> including WP:SOCK or have been translated before but never had to be
> put into use like 3RR.
>
> A couple of days ago we had to issue the first blocks for 3RR and the
> two sysops were vehemently attacked by the blocked users and their
> friends, demanding our resignation.
>
> I know it's business as usual in EnWiki, but to me, this was my first
> trial by fire as a sysop (i.e. being called a "nazi").
> We're in the process of translating and clarifying all key policies
> and that's how I found out this inconsistency in the word of the
> policy and common practice in EnWiki.
>
> The reason I wanted to clarify this is because I know I'm going to be
> *personally* attacked because of this if its not crystal clear in our
> version. :(
>
> BTW, do you know how the initial policies of smaller Wikipedia's get formulated?
> Are they translations of EnWiki policies? Or do they have their own
> local benevolent dicator like Jimbo, who has the final say in these
> matters (at least initially)?
>
> Or do people in smaller Wikipedias vote on each and every policy from day 1?

There is nothing magical about policy on en.  Other wikis are free to
make their own policy to meet their own specific needs.  The only
thing that isn't negotiable is NPOV.

People will attack admins for protecting the wiki no matter how
precisely formulated policy is.  Don't think that writing highly
detailed, well-defined policy will have any effect on that.

en has LOTS of places where the "formal policy" deviates from actual
practice.  Eventually someone will fix the formal policy to match the
actual practice, at which point actual practice will again diverge
from formal policy.

Kelly