[WikiEN-l] Categories and NPOV

Laura K Fisher laura at thescudder.com
Sun Jun 26 20:25:53 UTC 2005

There's been a lot of talk about this at [[Category:Conspiracy
theories]], and although I hate the fact that that label closes
people's minds to thinking about these theories, it is the most concise
and recognizable descriptor for them.

I'm a scientist, so I am totally biased on the pseudoscience issue, but
I think that a well written article that is NPOV should explain both
sides: it should describe the theory, it's history, and the objections
of the scientific community.  In other words, a NPOV article in
[[Category:Pseudoscience]] should already describe exactly what it
means for it to be in that category - that mainstream science doesn't
accept this theory for various reasons. One wouldn't need to read
[[Pseudoscience]] in order to understand why it's been placed in the
category.

The [[Category:Pseudoscience]] tag at the bottom is definitely used by
some as a warning label, which I can't really fault because many
theories cloak themselves in scientific language that can easily lure a
non-scientist into thinking its a mainstream scientific theory backed
by the scientific community.  I suppose that the [[Category:Conspiracy
theories]] serves a similar purpose.

So I guess my conclusion is that it might be okay to have something
like [[Category:Satanic lies]] for example if the article text dealt
with who thought it was a satanic lie and why, but inappropriate
otherwise, as the reader wouldn't understand the characterization.  Of
course, I wouldn't use the name satanic lies.  I mean I thought
conspiracy theory was a loaded phrase for a category name, and it's a
commonly used.

Laura