[WikiEN-l] Requests for adminship reform

MacGyverMagic/Mgm macgyvermagic at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 18:09:57 UTC 2005

> conned thousands of pounds. I would contend that someone's outward
> personality is not, alone, a valid reason to give them administrative
> powers. But the issue arises - how does one determine whether someone
> would make a good admin without trusting that they would? I would
> argue that it's very difficult.

That's exactly the reason we ask people to show some involvement with
admin duties before giving them those extra shiny buttons. From those
edits we should be able to tell if they are trustworthy and committed
to the project.

IMO large majorities tell us, a lot of users have seen them around and
agree the particular person being voted for is doing a good job and
can be trusted with admin powers.

Admin mentorship is a nice idea. I would certainly help new admins get
their footing, but I'm afraid it takes time away from what admins
should really be doing. Fighting vandalism, deleting nonsense and
generally keeping things running.

Finally, I think we should encourage people voting for adminship to
tell their reasons. That avoids "me too" votes and forces oppose
voters to explain themselves so others can seriously consider the
points they make.

--Mgm