[WikiEN-l] Re: RickK leaving: adminship has become much more than "no big deal" and that's poisonous

Rebecca misfitgirl at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 18:39:31 UTC 2005

On 6/22/05, Anthere <anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> If only because rules and habits are no more the same now that they were
> 3 years ago. There is an expectation that the candidate sysop knows the
> project quite well, know the people, know the rules... and I believe
> this is also why there is this requirement of number of edits which the
> english wikipedia insist so much upon. I do not say it is good or not
> good, I just observe it.

Have we ever had someone return from hiatus and not know the rules -
or have serious problems because of changes made while they're away?
I've never seen such a case.

> I also think that if an editor away for 3 years just came back now... he
> would neither know the rules, nor be known himself by current editors.

If this becomes an issue, deal with it. As it has never happened
before, I'm a bit cynical.

> Trust can be gained, or lost. But if it is lost, I see no point in
> pretending it is still there. It means work for the community to "check"
> each action of a non-trusted sysop.

And where's the evidence that this is the case? We've had three sysops
desysopped, and even then, I don't recall anyone having to
specifically check each of their actions. There's a big difference
between angering a small, but vocal bunch of people who hang around
VFD and RFA all the time, and having serious issues that actually need
action. In the eventuality that that does happen, this is what we have
the arbitration committee for.

-- ambi