[WikiEN-l] Re: RickK leaving: adminship has become much more than "no big deal" and that's poisonous

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Jun 21 16:53:29 UTC 2005

Dan Grey wrote:

>Haven't people made attempts at formulating a policy for de-sysopping
>before now, and been shot down in flames?

Particularly by those who see such a response as an act of
self-preservation.

>Admins, by and large, behave perfectly well. I would hope that the
>community is selecting those who are trustworthy to be admins, and
>that peer-pressure from the responsible majority will keep the odd
>rouge in line.

I presume you mean "rogue". :-)

I agree that most do behave perfectly well, and the same can be said
about most contributors.

Choosing trustworthy admins is just a pseudo-democratic crap-shoot.
Most of us don't participate in the voting; we have more useful things
to do. The only functioning standard is the ability to get votes in an
"election" that is only attended by people interested in elections, and
thus reflecting the POVs of that group.  The person who quietly and
without controversy continues to work and build in his own special area
is probably not represented.  I would like to see more objective
criteria for candidacy as sysops.  These could cover time spent, number
of edits, number of original contributions, social skills, etc.  Unless
a person meets these criteria, he would not be eligible to receive votes.

Peer pressure will work well in most cases, but there will still be
problem sysops.  Notably these are individuals who do a tremendous
amount of good work, but whose good works are often offset by an
inability to muster the social skills such as patience needed to deal
with others holding a different opinion.

Ec