[WikiEN-l] Content, reason and the ArbCom

Fred Bauder fredbaud at ctelco.net
Tue Jun 21 13:44:49 UTC 2005

No I don't have it in for you. When I looked at the case I had no
opinion, had not even thought about common era notation or about you.
I don't remember anything about you from CheeseDreams. Having spent a
day going over your edits and those of the others involved and
reviewing Wikipedia policies and locating a bunch of pages and votes
on the topic I made some PROPOSED decisions. Not a final decision,
just proposed decisions, which were never adopted, and it looks like
won't be.

Based on the proposed decisions you decided to throw in the towel.

As to the underlying controversy, Wikipedia opinion is divided,
apparently about equally. It is up to the community at large to
determine how to resolve the matter. I have one suggestion, however:
Having a definite decision is sometimes better than having the right
decision. That said, deciding what notation to use for eras is a
community decision.

My proposed decision simply stated what is true, that common era
notation is finding favor in the scholarly community.

May I suggest you drop all this crap and go back to editing. I am
bruised too but intend to consider the next case on the docket and do
the best that I can.

Fred