[WikiEN-l] *shakes head*

michaelturley at myway.com michaelturley at myway.com
Tue Jun 21 13:34:58 UTC 2005

>I swear, this whole discussion is making me want to follow you out of Wikipedia.
>
>I have no idea why we tolerate this growing group of idiots who just
>camp out on wikien-l and VFD with some sort of problem with authority.
>I just saw one of them (who has barely made any edits to the main
>namespace in the last fortnight) seriously suggest that admins should
>be desysopped for as little as a snide remark. I'm getting really sick
>of this.
>
>-- ambi

Well, I don't "camp out on wikien-l and VFD", and I have made very many edits to the main namespace in the last fortnight, and I don't have "some sort of problem with authority".  But I still get the feeling that I'm being grouped into a "growing group of idiots" by an admin and arbitrator because I '''sincerely''' think an admin should face a temporary penalty for as little as a snide remark.  Receive, perhaps not; face, absolutely.

In ambi's reply, I see defense at all costs, including the cost of an offensive comment.  This is not "wikilove", as far as I know it.  This clearly is much more than "no big deal" to ambi, but I don't resent that.  I do hope that administrators can remove their ego from the equation and see the image that this sort of comment projects, if it isn't actively refuted by other admins.

The very fact that my opinion is characterized as a "problem with authority" says that ambi thinks of her adminship as "authority".  Is that the original intent?  (From [[Wikipedia:Administrators]] "Administrators are not imbued with any special authority".)

If the above were my post, I hope that my response would be to come back an hour later and say "Hey, I was out of line calling people who disagree with me a 'growing group of idiots'.  Someone please apply a temporary ban on my account and notify the offended parties."  Then I hope I would accept the ban, then get back to work.

If being asked to be civil in public in all cases is not possible, then we have to ask that admins carry less of their ego around.  If they cannot, and that means an occasional hour or two, or six or twenty four off, then so be it.

I'm not calling for admin lynchings, and I will support no such ideas.  But what I am asking for is for admins to hold ''themselves'' to a higher standard '''voluntarily'''.  I think such real, observable gestures of sincere apology are the essence of "wikilove", but I don't know for sure because I only been around about 8 months total (including time as an anon).

Michael Turley
User:Unfocused