[WikiEN-l] Re: Discussion on English Wikipedia in languages other than English

Timwi timwi at gmx.net
Sun Jun 19 22:59:58 UTC 2005

David Friedland wrote:

> My opinion is that we should not allow or least sternly frown upon
> discussion on the English Wikipedia in languages other than English.

I don't know anything about the specific situation that led you to post
this, but in general I quite fiercely disagree with this. What are you
trying to accomplish? You can hardly force people to write in English
when they don't want to; instead they're just going to discuss things
elsewhere or not at all. In all likelihood, it will lead to decreased
productivity in the actual articles. You have not added to Wikipedia
that way.

In another posting, David Friedland wrote:

> a pair of editors repeatedly revert a change I make to an article,
> then post some messages in a foreign language to the article talk
> pages as well as to their own user talk pages and the "Xyz
> Wikipedians' notice board". Some of these messages clearly contain my
> user name.

Again, I don't know the specific situation, but come on, for all you
know these comments could be saying "David Friendland has a good point,
what do you all think?".

Timwi