[WikiEN-l] Arbitration Committee Seeking Comment

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Sun Jun 12 17:39:07 UTC 2005

Tony Sidaway wrote:
> Fred Bauder said:
>
>>Folk with eccentric points of view such as splinter political parties
>>often maintain websites and sometimes even publish books.
>>

> Then those websites and books are pretty good references for their
> opinions.  I don't see a problem here.  A flat earth society website is an
> excellent reference for a description of the views of that society.

Strawman argument.  No one is suggesting that we can't refer to such
source _for a description of their views_.

What we must say, if we are to be serious at all, is that the views of
the flat earth society are totally inappropriate for a serious article
on serious scientific views of the world.

This case is easy, but other cases are not so easy.

It will be quite useful for us to have some mechanisms to fairly and
seriously assess such matters.

--Jimbo