[WikiEN-l] Arbitration Commitee Seeking Comment

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Tue Jun 7 20:44:47 UTC 2005

Daniel:

> The ArbCom already tries to enforce our content-related policies. What I'd like
> to do is have subject-area subcommittees to consult when alleged violations of
> our content-related polices like NPOV or NOR come before us (the ArbCom). As it
> is, only the most blatant POV and original research-pushing people are
> sanctioned due to the simple fact that the ArbCom does not know everything
> about everything and thus can't spot more subtle violations of our
> content-related polices. We have tried, but this results in cases that take
> months and inadequate remedies.

I understand that this is frustrating, and it is commendable that you
are looking for a solution; this shows that you are indeed worthy
arbitrators -- people of action constantly looking for ways to deal with
the problems we face. However, I believe that you, Mark and other
arbitrators are examining the problem *only* from your point of view as
arbitrators. This is an unnecessary limitation of perspective. I think
there are community-based approaches that are not as susceptible to
error and corruption and that therefore should be preferred.

Now that you have so cogently pointed out the problem -- it's possible
to wage "wars of attrition" over articles, and the person first to
explode or give up is likely to lose -- I would like us to look together
for a solution that is compatible with our ideals and dreams of
openness and cooperation in good faith, rather than one that takes us
down the road of credentialism and hierarchy. Institutions like the
ArbCom, even admins, blocks, page protection, deletion -- these are not
perfect and deserve to be questioned and reconsidered.
http://usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl?DevolvePower is worth a read.

Best,

Erik