[WikiEN-l] RE: WikiEN-l Digest

Anthony DiPierro anthonydipierro at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 5 22:56:07 UTC 2005

>>I was thinking of another non-English semifork of Wikipedia which has
>>way more articles than the Wikipedia version, and whose owner is
>>deeply involved in Wikipedia but while bragging in private e-mails and
>>on-list about how much work he/she does compared to others to put more
>>free content online, does not consider allowing the corresponding
>>language version of Wikipedia to share content.
>
>If they are GFDL, they cannot disallow that. If they are not GFDL, they
>are using material originally from Wikipedia illegally.

The GFDL doesn't require that everything on the site must be released under
the GFDL, only derivative works.  Even Wikipiedia itself uses non-GFDL
content in its site.

Besides, even if the content is GFDLed, Wikipedia would be required to start
following the GFDL in order to use that content.  That can go from easy to
nearly impossible depending on whether or not there are invariant sections
in the text.

Anthony