[WikiEN-l] No redress against personal attack - take the moral high road

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Fri Jun 3 13:50:16 UTC 2005

Dan Grey (Dan100) [mailto:dangrey101 at yahoo.co.uk] wrote:

> I'd like to know what my options are after Ambi called
> me a jerk:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Requests_for_arbit
> ration#Everyking_3_deadlock.3F
>
> Now, before I make a fool of myself making an
> inappropiate fuss on the wiki, maybe someone could
> tell me if there are any proper channels of redress
> for this kind of thing, whether or not Ambi is
> 'untouchable' and therefore it's not worth me
> defending myself.

Wikipedia policy does NOT provide users the right of "redress".

Ignore it the first time or so. After that, ask the person POLITELY to
stop calling you names. If they persist, ask others for help, such as a
senior admin.

(Yes, I know: all admins have the same "rank". I mean someone who's been
around a long time and knows everybody, like me or Anthere or
maveric169. Sheesh! Do I have to spell this out?)

If peer pressure from admins fails, you make a request for arbitration.
BUT - note this carefully! - you must leave a "clean audit trail". In
all your dealings with the person who is bothering you, make sure that
you do not retaliate. Ignore this guideline at your own risk!

Any attempt to change others' behavior on this wiki by "doing unto them
what they have done to you" AUTOMATICALLY lowers your chance of
prevailing. This is not junior high school: tit for tat does not apply
here.

Your behavior must be exemplary (like mine ;-) and then everyone is
bound to treat you well.

Why does this work? Well, take me for example. My personal views are
considered "extreme" (even offensive) by many other contributors -
including admins and arbcom members. But I avoid PERSONAL ATTACKS, and
I'm gracious and yielding at all times.

Except when I lose it! And when I'm having a bad day I withdraw, mull
things over and undo or take back what I did or said. Generally with
copious, self-abasing apologies.

And why not? Am I here for the honor and glory of being respected by a
multitude - or did I come here to Help. Build. An encyclopedia. For the
benefit of the world.

Figure out why YOU are here, and act accordingly. (I can coach you, if
requested.)

Uncle Ed [[User:Ed Poor]]