Shocking behavior towards Willswikihelp (was Re: [WikiEN-l] Recent goings-on)

Tony Sidaway minorityreport at bluebottle.com
Thu Jun 2 23:08:38 UTC 2005

SPUI said:
> Tony Sidaway wrote:
>  But what kind of sanctions should he get, and for what reason?
>
> Reason? Harassing new users. Sanctions? Not sure. Can't exactly ban him
>  from talking to new users.

You have a good point. I just looked the  Willswikihelp case.  He bit a
newcomer who wrote a little eulogy to Sonny Bono in the middle of the
South Lake Tahoe, California article.  That's very bad behavior.  What
made it even worse was that another editor backed him up.  A touch of
groupthink there, I think.

I hope RickK will apologise to this guy.  This really didn't look like
vandalism, just a newcomer making an inappropriate edit.

Then RickK jumps into Isabella Allende and reverts what looks to me like a
reasonable, if wordy, edit about her children's books.  Cantus jumps in
and does the same thing.  Very bad behavior.

SchmuckytheCat then goes and lists Chertsey.jpg, which Willswikihelp
uploaded, on IFD claiming it was "no source, uploaded by vandal" and
without going to Willswikihelp asking him to complete the licensing
information on the image.

There's a huge failure to assume good faith here, and I see absolutely no
reason for it.  The image was in effect trashed without any kind of good
faith request for licensing information.  That kind of behavior is
enormously bad for Wikipedia.

I'm shocked.