[WikiEN-l] Harrasment by an admin - examples?

Matt Brown morven at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 08:55:49 UTC 2005

On 6/1/05, michaelturley at myway.com <michaelturley at myway.com> wrote:

> I'd say RickK's treatment of Willswikihelp is pretty close to harrassing a new user

Pretty close?  I'd say it's over the line, personally, having reviewed
the history.

Rick, can you justify your behavior in treating well-meaning new users
who are making accurate and factual additions to articles in this way,
treating them as if they are vandalising Wikipedia?  Outright accusing
them of vandalism, in fact, when all they did was add factual
information that you considered inappropriately placed?

> The actions and comments of Cantus and SchmuckyTheCat aren't any better, but they're
> not admins, so personally, I don't expect nearly as much from them.  (However, reading
> SchmuckyTheCat's edit summaries in response to this new user on the South Lake
> Tahoe, California article is especially disturbing.)

I am (speaking of SchmuckyTheCat's edit summaries) frankly, disgusted
that someone should address another editor on Wikipedia like that -
worse yet, without even it being provoked in the slightest.  Compared
to that, Cantus' behavior was terse and over-harsh, but in comparison
... though I think one should not simply revert the addition of
factual material because it is 'badly written'.

The whole set of behavior is frankly disturbing.  Rather the
antithesis of "don't bite the newbies".

-Morven