[WikiEN-l] bit of tricky copyright question

Jtkiefer jtkiefer at wordzen.net
Sun Jul 31 09:49:41 UTC 2005

I have a bit of a tricky copyright question. Recently I decided that I
would like to create a derivation of the Wikipedia logo for personal use
soley on the Wikipedia site, after seeing that it was copyrighted to the
Wikipedia foundation I emailed Jimbo asking for formal permission to use
the image as a part of the future work. I have not recieved any reply
and so I decided to continue assuming that since there are already other
works based off the Wikipedia logo on the site it would be ok and I
could deal with tagging later..  I have since uploaded the work and amd
wondering whether it is a copyright violation or not and if not what it
should be tagged since it doesn't seem to fall under any of the
licensing schemes.  BTW, the image can be found at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Darkwiki.jpg.

I've also been meaning to ask how the copyright on the Wikipedia logo
works since it seems to be a paradox of terms, especially since it has
been established that despite claims otherwise, see [[User:Pioneer-12]]
everything posted or uploaded to Wikipedia is automatically licensed
under the GFDL yet the logo appears to be exempt.

Thanks,

-Jtkiefer