[WikiEN-l] Re: Example vs. Original research

William M Connolley wmc at bas.ac.uk
Wed Jul 27 15:28:51 UTC 2005

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, Chris [iso-8859-1] Lüer wrote:
> Alphax wrote:
>
> >Oh, and did anyone mention the fact that the sphericity of the Earth is
> >distorted by the tides?

Mostly by the equatorial bulge, which is rotational. The tidal stuff is
secondary.

> This would be a common scientific approach to dealing with critics, I
> believe. Instead of addressing their concerns, one adds lots of
> irrelevant, complicated details and hopes to confuse the heck out of
> them so that they shut up. ;)

A fair comment, as long as you delete "scientific" and replace it with
"political"...

-W.

William M Connolley | wmc at bas.ac.uk | http://www.antarctica.ac.uk/met/wmc/
Climate Modeller, British Antarctic Survey | (01223) 221479
If I haven't seen further, it's because giants were standing on my shoulders