[WikiEN-l] userpage and user subpage protection

Angela beesley at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 19:49:06 UTC 2005

> In general, its been principle to keep things open,
> open, and open, though probably nobody would complain
> if you became a sysop and protected your own subpages.

Actually, they would. Protection is meant as a defense against
persistent vandalism, not as a reward for admins.

If you want a non-editable page, please don't use a wiki. I see no
reason user pages need to be protected any more than any other page.
You don't own these pages just because you created them in the user
namespace. See <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Ownership> and
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Protected_pages_considered_harmful>.

Angela.