[WikiEN-l] Example vs. Original research

Stan Shebs shebs at apple.com
Sun Jul 24 19:26:31 UTC 2005

disclist at dapyx-soft.com wrote:

>What is the border between an example and an original theory?
>
>There's an user that argues that examples are original research, because
>they don't have a source, although they support a sourced theory. (this is
>specifically about languages, grammar, etc)
>
>I think we should have something on original research policy related to this.

There seems to be a perennial confusion between "original research"
and "original content" - we want people to string words together
in new and different ways, just not to introduce new facts in the
process. An example is just a particular form of content, and
doesn't need to be sourced, just as one doesn't add citations(1) to(2)
the(3) dictionary(4) after(5) every(6) word(7),(8) as well as
citations to the rules of grammar after every phrase (45, 92, 132 but
see 89, p. 1045).

:-)

Stan