[WikiEN-l] Re: Plagiarism Policy, was A Missing Policy

Skyring skyring at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 19:56:05 UTC 2005

On 7/21/05, Geoff Burling <llywrch at agora.rdrop.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005, Skyring wrote:
>
> > On 7/20/05, Ben <bratsche1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > This is just the way to prevent some more instruction creep: reinforce and
> > > enforce existing policies.
> >
> > Yup. NOR and CITE cover the plagiarism issue.
> >
> Well, I beg to differ. As I pointed out in another email, adding
> plagiarised content to Wikipedia can be understood as taking written
> material someone owns & releases it under the GFDL or Creative Commons
> without first consulting the author or owner.

Perhaps you are going in directions I'm not. Plagiarism is the
unattributed use of material. If we cite our sources, then obviously
re-using material is not plagiarism. It might be intellectual theft,
but it's not plagiarism if it's atrributed.

Perhaps you are talking about copyright issues, and there are others
here better fitter to talk about copyright than I.

That whole King James Bible issue was way outside my comfort zone!

--
Peter in Canberra