[WikiEN-l] Worrying trends

Chris Jenkinson chris at starglade.org
Wed Jul 20 15:09:19 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I'm becoming rather worried at the lack of consensus building on
requests for adminship and other pages, with oppose votes basically
saying "oppose, don't even think about asking why, no is no", and in
some cases support votes being challenged and no response (however this
is much rarer).

This is incredibly damaging in my opinion as Wikipedia operates on
consensus, and refusing to discuss not only shows a lack of regard for
other people's opinions but gives an arrogant, superior attitude.

I must say that I think that everyone who does not respond to a (good
faith) questioning comment asking them why should have their
vote/opinion on the matter disregarded. If they are not willing to say
why they believe what they do then they should not be considered
contributing to the discussion. Wikipedia is rightfully not a democracy
where you can vote for whatever reason you like. Any position someone
takes must be able to be challenged.

I would like to see any bureaucrats making a judgement on a close RfA to
disregard anybody's vote, either in support or oppose, who have not
responded to a challenge for their reasoning.

Chris

--
Chris Jenkinson
chris at starglade.org